Act Justly - Love Mercifully - Walk Humbly


Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Disney Or Bust



Maybe I was feeling brave when he called. Or maybe I was overdosed with cough and cold medicine and somewhat delirious. I can’t really remember. Either way, when my Uncle J called a couple of months ago and invited us to spend a week at Disney World with his family, I said yes. Of course I waited to give a final answer until I talked it over with D1 but who are we kidding? I knew he would jump on it. What kid doesn’t want to go play at WDW? I’m pretty sure he’s more excited about it than d1 or d2 but that shouldn’t surprise anyone…..

Whether or not I’m second guessing that decision is irrelevant. We are going. In July. Yes, I know. Insane. But if I’m going to look at the bright side of that brilliant idea, I anticipate dropping at least two pounds of day from the amount of sweat I will undoubtedly expel. Anyway, Uncle J has a vacation home in Orlando that is large enough to accommodate us and his family and will save us a huge chunk of cash. Hip hip hooray for the free stay! Not to mention the fact that we don’t have to pay for airfare because we are just a short five hour drive from the Happiest Place on Earth, which is nothing for this nomadic clan. It’s a pretty sweet deal all around, although pricing these park tickets does tend to make me a little nauseous. After paying for four tickets x four days, we may have nothing left for food. We may be eating Chicken Helper and Spam sandwiches but, by golly, we WILL have Mickey’s autograph and we WILL ride Space Mountain, not to mention the enormous amount of memories we will create while there.

So, my fellow bloggers and readers, I’m looking for tips. It can be from your own personal experience or something you heard while standing in line at the post office. I don’t care. I am just looking for ways to make this vacation great, despite the fact that I have two chronic complainers and one short stack that insists on showing me his disappearing act. I’ve been making a list as I hear them. I think I even came across a blog devoted to surviving Disney trips with small children, which that in itself tells me we’re in for a real treat. I’ve heard it wise to spend the money for the double strollers and to dress your kids in bright clothing so they are easy to spot if when they get separated. What else ya got? And preferably not, 'DON'T DO IT!'

7 Comments:

Unknown said...

We went in July & found that the fan spray bottles were great esp when you fill them with ice water before you have to stand in the long lines. You pay a hefty price for Disney fan spray bottles but they have a large opening on the side so ice can fit in & they come with batteries. Also We had their name embroidered on the back of their mickey ears so there was no confusion on who's was who's for the boys.

Kelley C said...

5 hour drive???

Double Dees in SC said...

Well, someone told me it was six hours so that equates to five for me :)

Kelley C said...

I really think its like 8 or 9 hours. But its been prob 10 years since I drove it. Google Maps says 8hrs 53 min.

Jessica said...

I could do a dissertation on Disney but I'll spare you and my fingers for the moment.

Cool tip I heard from a mom just this week - a tattoo sticker on each kid with your name and number. Just in case. Apparently they last about 2 weeks, she was ordering a whole year's supply for her wild man:-)

You're going to have a great time!!!

snk4ever said...

I think the fan spray bottles are a great idea too! Maybe you can find them somewhere beforehand cheaper?? Although it's been a long time since I went (like still under the supervision of my mom) I remember seeing lots of families that had matching shirts made for the whole family. I remember they have fast passes or something like that where you don't have to wait in the long lines...definitely check into that!!!

tug-tugandnor-nor's mommy said...

We also went in July, had a great time. My advice.........don't buy park hopper passes, they are a waste of money. With small children you can easily spend all day in one park. (We were not Animal Kingdom fan.) And if you plan to eat at "nice" places in the park or do a character lunch/dinner make reservations now. I have a ton of tips so just ask BAC or RCM for my contact info. They are great friends of mine.