Act Justly - Love Mercifully - Walk Humbly


Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Oh, Spring Break! How I Love Thee!

It is FINALLY Spring Break in Greenville County and I emphasize ‘FINALLY’ because it feels like it took forever to get here. You would think my excitement would be related to a fabulous vacation but, alas, it does not have anything to do with being away from home. Just the opposite, actually. I am thrilled to pieces that we will be spending more time at home this week than we have the last few months. You see, Greer Rec and the YMCA also celebrate Spring Break which means no baseball practices, no soccer games, nothing. Sure, it equates to more backyard baseball where I tend to endure some physical pain but, in comparison, it is totally worth it. Though most of the craziness is attributed to the busy schedules of our little athletes, I’m also enjoying a break from packing lunches, writing checks for t-shirts, signing field trip forms, and all the other ‘fun’ stuff that comes with having children in school. How’s that for easy-to-please? I don’t need to be on a cruise to enjoy this observed school holiday. I can be perfectly content with a break from life…..

This short pause really couldn’t have come at a better time for me personally. I know that my ‘full plate’ is nobody’s fault but my own but WHEW. The month of April has been brutal so I’m hoping that May brings a bit less chaos. We’ve had school cook-outs, birthday parties, school plays, Easter Egg Hunts, CareGroup dinners, bible studies, children's shelter.....and it’s only the 19th of the month with a few more activities left to round out April, including an Easter weekend homeless feeding. In between attending all of the above AND the twice-a-week sporting events, I’ve been working on some articles for our church that I need to finish by the end of the month. I am both excited and flattered to be given the opportunity to serve the Lord in a new capacity and want to give it my absolute all but it has taken some extra time-management skills on my part to work it in this busy schedule. Oh and remember my testimony? We filmed it yesterday. On camera. After a couple weeks of editing my story, I spent 3.5 hours in the studio with the fabulous Alex Reynolds at TFBC and I’m excited to see his stellar skills pulling it all together……stay tuned for the final product.

This post is really not a grumble. I hope it doesn’t sound that way. For those of you who have been asking me when I’m going to post the latest ‘funny’ on my blog, I wanted you to know that it’s not because I’m phasing out of the blogging business. {oh wait, business might imply that I earn money....PSA - I do NOT}. And it’s definitely NOT from lack of material because the boys would never allow that to happen. I love blogging and would write all day long if I could. For now, I’m trying to evaluate and prioritize my to-do list the way Jesus might. Serving the homeless, sharing my story and spending time with the fam? I have a feeling He might concur. If it means I’m a little more scatter-brained and watch a little less TV, I’m okay with that. It's all relative in the grand scheme of eternity....

**PS - Thank you, D1, for being so supportive and encouraging this month. You are amazing!

**PPS - I have plenty of funny stories from the little d's. Just ask me. Especially after a trip to Pizza Inn on Senior Citizen night.....

2 Comments:

Jessica said...

Glad you're getting a much deserved break.

Ironic, my word verification looks a lot like HECTIC. The computer people are reading your blog too:-)

Bri said...

Girl, I hear ya about a break from life! I'm feeling a little envious. :) Right now, I'm white knuckled and holding on for sanity as this crazy ride barrels full speed towards summer vacation! Only 54 days (if you count the weekends) left! But who's counting?

*sidenote* If you care to take a peek, I've been writing in my blog a little more often. I must warn you though, mine is not nearly as entertaining as yours!