Act Justly - Love Mercifully - Walk Humbly


Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Living in a Fantasy World

For the last few days, the big question was 'will he or won't he?' Will D1 make the playoffs or won't he? Now don't be misled. When I say playoffs, I'm not referring to his basketball team {because everyone knows basketball doesn't have playoffs*}. I'm talking about fantasy football, people. This is not some monumental accomplishment, either. Okay, so maybe it is to him. Perhaps, in some way, he sees it as a reflection of his superior drafting and management skills. In any case, he lost this week. By one point. So now his season is officially over and when he told me, I really did try to find some kind words but nothing came out. I just couldn't muster any sympathetic words so opted with nothing at all because, in all honesty, I'm a tiny, smidgy-widgy bit happy. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing my spouse experience victory and I know he enjoys the competition. Hey, I played FF with 'the guys' for a couple of years myself {yes, I drafted Brady AND Manning, back-to-back....some would say not the 'smartest' move but I'm a GIRL - the choice was quite easy} so I know it can be fun. However, I could still function after a loss. With D1, it's not quite the same. If Michael Vick throws an interception, you'd think the world was coming to an end. Or if the ball gets handed off in a run play instead of passing to one of his receivers {thus resulting in less points}, he acts like someone just stole his lunch money. I know it's a difficult concept to grasp but I don't think Ochocinco wakes up every Sunday morning and says to himself, 'I wonder how many fantasy points Dallas Darnell needs this week to beat his opponent. I'll be sure to do my best, just for him.' And I know this is where his competitive nature comes into play. This same nature is why we had to ban Madden '03 on PlayStation from this household FOREVER. There are plenty of stories behind that but saved for a later date. Some of you reading will need no explanation. You have fond memories. For now, I'll enjoy Sunday afternoons with my husband and try to console my love during his time of 'loss.' No pun intended. Oh, who are we kidding? I think I just snorted.

*ETA - I should add that there was not such a thing as playoffs in high school basketball but rather districts, semi-finals, finals, etc. And that was in Missouri. Maybe these Southern schools are different. Maybe this matters to no one but myself but I am what some might call a perfectionist and I would also hate for you to be misinformed, especially since it is imperative you know the correct terminology....

2 Comments:

Jessica said...

1. I didn't know basketball has no playoffs. Ask Ryan about my KO comment sometime.
2. Brady and Manning sounded like awesome drafts to me. Brady is SO cute.
3. When I played FF I think my team went to the Toilet Bowl - and lost.
4. You get bonus points for being a supportive wife. You actually know who is on your husbands team!

KLee said...

That story was about you and your husband? It sure sounded a lot like me and mine. Seriously. Except our loss was by 0.03. Yes. One yard. If I had known, I would have sulked with you all season. :) John will continue to watch to see how all the other players pan out. Only a few more weeks. AHHH!!!