Act Justly - Love Mercifully - Walk Humbly


Sunday, September 12, 2010

Labor Day Get Away to the Mountains

Last weekend we headed north a couple of hours to Blowing Rock, NC -- particularly to Tweetsie Railroad. I would like to mention that this wasn't much of a planned trip. Instead, it was another one of those 'hey, let's go away this weekend' emails from D1 that sparked this little mini vacay. The point being that I am actually getting better at this sponataneity thing. I've done this twice in the same year and it's pretty fun. We debated a few locations including Atlanta & Charleston but my awesome friend recommended this place to us and the train theme pretty much sold us so off we went.

And it was gorgeous! We had a perfect day, almost on the chilly side being up in the mountains, but it really was a good choice. If we had any major catastrophes, they must not have been that bad because a week later and I can't recall. Oh wait -- we did lose d3's 'blankie' but that was temporary. D1 had to push d3 in the stroller up the 'nature trail' (aka mountain climbing with the Graco) and somewhere along the way, d3 tossed it out into the wild. It made for a tough few hours because it happened right around his nap time and I was hoping that blanket would soothe him enough to pass out for a while in the stroller but he would have none of that without the taggie blanket. On our way out of the park, we checked in the lost & found and someone had dropped it by. I wasn't real surprised - it's definitely not a blanket that one would marvel over but my baby boy sure adores it.

And so what if I gave it right back to him from the lost & found bucket. I'm pretty sure that whatever he ingested on his fingers was worse than anything on that blanket. It had been a long day and I was ready for the whining and fussing to end so I gave it to him to suck on. I make no apologies....


A few pics at Tweetsie ~


Exploring the county jail (notice the article in d3's hand - this is a before) -





Brothers riding together - and once again, d2 has another mark on his face, this time right in the middle of the forehead. Seriously, this kid.....





Against my direction to stay off the broken slide, D1 decided that it was 'fine' to play on. And we wonder why our children don't have great listening skills....





On ole Tweetsie herself -





Choo-Choo!




Side note here - notice d3's fingers? Our little nasty habit he's had since birth? G-O-N-E! Hopefully I didn't just jinx the whole thing but we ordered some stuff from Amazon that had a bazillion reviews of 4 and 5 stars, claiming to have stopped 30-year nail biting, thumb sucking, etc. We are now two full days in and we haven't seen him suck the fingers once, not even at bed time which is when I typically have to remove them from his mouth once he's asleep. Praise GOD - we might just be over this hump!

0 Comments: