Act Justly - Love Mercifully - Walk Humbly


Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Mini-Man's Perspective

So, this may come as a shock to some of you but I am not a real girly-girl. More of a tomboy, actually. I know, hard to believe, right? So there's no coincidence that I have three boys. God totally knew I would screw that up big.....

There is a point to this story, not just a random piece of information about me and my dysfunctions. Last weekend, while I was unpacking my wardrobe box, d2 came across one of my few dresses. No, seriously - I think I have two and one is a black dress used only for weddings (that I still have from my rehearsal dinner 7 years ago). And skirts? Nope. Not so much. Anyway, he asked me why I never wear dresses. Bless his heart, he's so observant. I told him I didn't really have any dresses and that Mommy preferred pants and capris.....which then led into 8 questions about what capris are - 'are they the same thing as my Capri (Sun) juice box?' And I might have to shave more often if I wore dresses but I wasn't even going there with a 4-year-old. When we finally got back to the initial dress topic, he told me that mommys are supposed to wear dresses. Good to know, I guess. But then he asked me if I would wear it tomorrow to church. And he told me if I did, I could pick him up from his class. Oh, so it's like that, huh? I have to wear a dress for you to acknowledge me as your mother? So I wore the dress. I didn't enjoy it but I did it for him.

That night, I gave it some more thought and decided I would try to get out of my comfort zone a bit and maybe give dresses a chance. I even purchased one on sale earlier this week and plan to try it out on Sunday. It really is not my thing but if it makes my little guy proud to show me off, how in the world can I say no? We'll see how long this endeavor lasts.....

3 Comments:

w and js mommy said...

sorry I missed the dress debut. I have a love/hate with dresses since I worked somewhere where I had to wear a dress with hose EVERYDAY even when I was preggo with william. I am just now starting to kinda like them again.

Jessica said...

Give dresses a try! I love them, you never have to worry about matching b/c it's all one piece.

Bri said...

I hear ya Dawn. Just recently, as in Mother's Day, did I start trying to wear dresses more. In years past they have been reserved for command parties (where it is most often required as they are formal affairs) or when I was IN a wedding. I think love/hate would best describe my feelings towards dresses as well. I hope you enjoy this new adventure of dress wearing and being shown off. ;)