Act Justly - Love Mercifully - Walk Humbly


Sunday, October 14, 2012

6w3d

Funny how men & women are different. If a man reads that title, he thinks it’s the name of a new Star Wars character. If a woman reads it, she knows it’s pregnancy-related. Unless that man is my husband who has already updated ‘his’ due date on BabyCenter so that he receives weekly emails on the growth of our unborn bebe and subsequently sends me links to this, that and the other as if I’ve never done this before. Thanks but no thanks. I will sleep on my back until I no longer can and if I choose a bag of donuts over an apple for my snack, I strongly suggest you hold your remarks.

 Ahem, I digress. So 6w3d, for those in the dark, is code for six weeks and three days into this human-growing process. With Dagen, I had a cute little journal I logged everything in. And I do mean everything. With Davis, I had a free Enfamil calendar that I might have marked the big dates with fun little stickers. With Dayne, yeah, I did nothing. Sorry, buddy. It was the life in which we lived. With this one, I’m going to try my hand at blogging some things. Or this might be the only one, given the fact that I’m home from church today because I’m fighting serious nausea & dizziness. Whatever. You’ve gotta start somewhere.

So these symptoms I’m griping about this morning have been bothering me kicking my butt these last couple of weeks. No, it's not like I’ve never experienced any of it before but I’ll be darned if they don’t seem elevated. Take nausea for instance. It seems to show up around the same time every morning and last for several hours. It closely resembles the way I feel when riding through the hills of Tennessee with Dallas behind the wheel except it’s not over in 10 minutes…it lasts 2-4 hours and it’s brutal.

And then add some random smells that I’ve somehow developed aversions to and it’s even worse. I can understand being nauseated by the smell of hard-boiled eggs or fish or something stinky but my biggest aversion right now? COFFEE. My beloved java. Listen, friends, I haven’t gone a day without coffee in I-don’t-know how many years but right now, I’m on an eight-day hiatus and it bites. Not only can I not drink it but I can’t even smell it! {Sad, sad face} I guess this is a blessing in disguise for my growing fetus but my selfish me is missing my pumpkin spice latte. It’s October, for crying out loud, which is when all the seasonal flavors are out and I can’t even enjoy it. This is a travesty.

The other major symptom I’m battling is exhaustion and Dallas would gladly attest to this. My poor husband just wants to hang out with my cool self in the evenings after the crazies are down for the count and it’s all I can do to keep my eyes open until 9:00. Yesterday, I laid down for a late nap with Dayne and didn’t wake up until 4:30pm. Had he not kidney-punched me with his heel when turning over, I might have slept until this morning and still looked forward to an afternoon siesta. It’s really ridiculous but I can’t help it.  Maybe if I could stomach some coffee, I might have some energy. Hmmph.

And then let’s not even discuss my growth. Seriously, it’s absurd. For the record, the scale hasn’t changed but, by golly, this belly has. You always hear that, with every child, the ‘pop’ comes faster but I’m already embracing the belly band. At 6w3d {it was actually at about 5w2d, if I'm being honest}. So yes, it’s possible that, by this time next week, I’ll be in total maternity wear. I can’t even believe I just typed that.

There are others in my list of First Trimester Fun but I’ll spare you the details only to say that they seem worse this go-round. Why is that? Is it because I’m 32? Could it be a different gender? Or…{gasp}…could there be more than one in there?

First ultrasound a week from tomorrow. Stay tuned.  

3 Comments:

W and Js mommy said...

TWO TWO TWO TWO---

Autumn said...

You shouldn't even say things like that...it might happen! Seriously though, Diane keeps telling me that b/c she ALWAYS gets 2. I don't think so :) I've always been a rebel!

Trish said...

I've had the same thing with coffee too! I'm not an addict but as soon as I got pregnant this time I couldn't stand the smell. One day I went in Starbucks to get a muffin and almost threw up at the smell. And I couldn't walk in the breakroom at work in the mornings for a long time. Crazy pregnancy horomones!