Act Justly - Love Mercifully - Walk Humbly


Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I'm a Baseball Player

d2 now reminds us of this daily. He has been waiting for this day to come forever. He has sat through countless practices and games for d1 and rarely did he ever complain. This will be his first year of t-ball and he is so excited. He has played backyard baseball with D1 and d1 for awhile now - he knows how to hit off a tee as well as hit a pitched ball. He throws right-handed but hits (and swings a golf club) left-handed. He had his first practice over the weekend as a Giant and it was so much fun to watch him interact and play with kids he has just met. No shyness here. Very easy going and congenial. Quite honest. And I view that as a positive characteristic in my son. As long as he keeps it appropriate. Here are some pictures from his first practice.





Side note: So that appropriateness I mentioned above - there's a story behind that. Many have heard it already but I'll document so that maybe someday after my nervous breakdown when I'm in a padded room, eating Jell-O and playing checkers and can't remember such exciting times, D1 can pull this up and make me laugh.

Saturday morning (prior to the aforementioned t-ball practice), D1 and a friend were working on some improvements in our home so I had to get the boys out for awhile. It was too chilly to hit up a park and too 'germy' to visit a bounce house (with a crawler) so I decided that I would bribe the older two with milkshakes if they would be on their best behavior while I stopped at a couple of furniture stores. I only made it to one and it was all I had in me to survive it. The behavior started out great, d1 was right by my side and following the rules. d2, on the other hand, was running all over the store, hopping on couches, throwing his feet up on the ottomans and just not listening to a word I said. And I had no stroller so I was lugging the 25-lb chunker around while chasing the disobedient one. Frustrating but I could have lived with that behavior. It wasn't until I flagged down a saleslady that it went from bad to worse. While we were negotiating a price on an entertainment center, d2 interrupts quite loudly and says, 'I just farted right here. He he.' And if that wasn't bad enough, the lady said, 'I'm sorry, honey. I didn't hear you.' I tried to intercept and tell him NOT to repeat but he went ahead....and LOUDER. This time, it wasn't just the saleslady that heard him. I wanted to crawl under that Broyhill table and cry. I believe the next thing the lady said was, 'Do we have any girls at home for you, Mom?' Um, nope. It's just me. But thanks for the reminder.

Needless to say, nothing was purchased from that trip.

6 Comments:

Outnumbered! said...

Nice.

He looks like such a big boy out there on the field! Aw.

W and Js mommy said...

Ha I like how the lady wanted to hear him--how polite! HAAAA when I read that it was in the middle of the party and I busted out laughing! HAAAAA I love Davis. I think he has a kind, sweet spirit.

Bri said...

Your boys crack me up! If I were there with you I would have added to the scene when I began to giggle along with d2. ;) Sorry I know that is terrible, but it's the truth! He looks so cute at t-ball practice. Just remember these are the days we will miss, or at least that's what the experts say...hmmm..Pretty sure their kid wasn't the one farting in the store though. :)

Jessica said...

Love the little outfielders - they are just too cute!

And Furniture Store Lady should here my little angel, she farts louder than her Daddy sometimes.

TCW said...

Love the story. I read it and laughed and then laughed again with Chad after he read it. They are the funniest.

I love the picture of d2 with helmet on. He almost looks like he could topple over.

Caroline said...

I just about busted a gut with the furniture store story!!! All 3 of your boys are so cute and I am so impressed that you took them all to the furniture store by yourself. I hate going somewhere with just one kid!