Act Justly - Love Mercifully - Walk Humbly


Friday, March 20, 2009

Preparing for Baby Brother's Arrival....

Yesterday, we took d1 and d2 to a 'Sibling Class' at SRHS to learn all about how to be a big brother. They watched a video about being 'Super Siblings' and then were invited to do some hands-on training with a baby doll. They learned how to hold the baby, feed the baby, change the baby's diaper and swaddle the baby. Then we took a tour of the labor & delivery wing as well as the nursery (although we won't be delivering at this particular location). They were so well behaved and so patient - we were VERY proud of them!! After we were through, they asked why they couldn't take their baby with us and we explained that it was the hospital's baby doll but I thought it would be a good idea for them to have their own babies to care for at home. I emphasize how I thought it was a good idea - D1 wasn't really on board but he went with it (he's a man, of course!).

So, after the class, we go to Wal-Mart and pick out the 'manliest' babies we can find - two of the same, of course, to avoid fighting - and head out. (Side note: while in Wal-Mart, d1 started goofing off and I leaned out to grab him before he walked backwards into a ladies shopping cart and my heels give out and I just about wiped out for all of Wal-Mart to see. Close one! But wow, did it hurt my enormous abdomen! I was pretty embarrrassed but whatever. )

When we get home, we gave the boys a newborn diaper and a receiving blanket so that they could practice what they learned in their class with their own babies. They were very kind and careful and we just kept explaining how we would need to treat the 'real' baby that would come soon and how we never handle that baby without Mommy or Daddy around. They seem to get it but we know it will take some time. Off to bed they went last night - with their babies beside them. It was very sweet - d2 especially likes to kiss his baby....over and over and over.

So, this morning, as soon as the boys get up, what do they want to play with right away? That's right, their baby boys. Much to D1's chagrin, the boys are still enjoying playing 'Daddy' to their babies and I think that's okay. This is going to be a big adjustment for them and this is good practice for d3's arrival (which should be any day now!). I'm sure D1 is just hoping that these babies don't replace their love for basketball, football, and body slamming that occurs daily in our house. I would be okay if it did for awhile....I could use some peace from the constant injuries they sustain while trying to 'take Daddy down.'

D1 and I both know that this is going to be a transition for both boys but we are particularly worried about d2 the most right now. He seems to already be having some jealousy issues, possible regression (when he talks to me like a baby, which he has not done in a very long time). One morning this week, after I disciplined him for a naughty act, he asked me if I still loved him. He's never asked me that and it broke my heart. Maybe it has nothing to do with the new baby but maybe it does and I think I cried off and on all day long when I thought about it. He is a sensitive little guy and I can't stand the thought of him feeling like we don't love him. Soooo, this weekend, D1 and I are going to take d2 out for a 'big brother' afternoon that is all about him and give him 100% attention that he typically does not get much of (such is the life of a sibling). D1's aunt and uncle will take d1 while we do this and give him his own attention but d2 needs a little extra TLC right now from Mommy and Daddy and we're going to give it to him while we still can. We both understand that after d3 arrives, how important it is to block out time for each child individually but we are also realistic in knowing that it's much more easier said than done. We've read the books, articles, etc. and 'know' some ways to help this transition but if anyone would like to offer advice or experience for what worked for them, I'm all ears.....

5 Comments:

KLee said...

I have zero experience for you.
I think the doll idea is great. I have heard it helps from other parents. I have even heard of kids putting dolls in the new carseat until the new bro/sis arrives.
Over Christmas LilE was with her new cousin and she was able to feed and play with "Sophie" while Nonnie was attending to the real baby. It gave her a sense of being needed and not being neglected.

Acasha King said...

I am glad the boys are excited and willing to help! I can't wait to see d3! Good luck!

Michelle Y said...

I love that idea! You will have to post a picture of the "manly" baby dolls! :)

Outnumbered! said...

Bless it. d2 will adjust. It will just take time. I'm impressed they were so great with the dolls. RC is really rough on baby dolls. and on his little brother sometimes, too! :)

Bri said...

The dolls are a great idea. Nicholas had a teddy bear, he got as a gift when Hayley was born. That bear became his *baby*. He played daddy to that bear. Whenever I taking care of Hayley, he was taking care of his bear right beside me. By the time Hayley was six months old, he had tossed the bear and was back to tractors. He went on to play basketball, baseball, and soccer. Tell D1 to rest easy, the boys won't give up sports in favor of dolls! ;)

I'd also suggest involving the boys in d3's care. Have them gather diapers, towels during bath time, burp cloths, etc. When dressing d3, have the boys choose between two outfits (that you have preselected of course). This helps them to feel like they are a part of and have some control over the situation.

I know things will be a little hectic the first few months as you adjust your routine to 3 little d's, but squeeze in the alone time where you can. These are kids, they don't need a big thing, just a bedtime story with mom and/or dad. Put them in the bathtub seperate (even though I know two in one baths are so much easier) and talk about their day with them. Sidewalk chalk with one, while dad is up to something with the other and vice versa. Things like that. The little moment, the impromptu things, they add up and often times mean so much more. :)