Act Justly - Love Mercifully - Walk Humbly


Monday, December 8, 2008

Role Reversal

So, looking back at my posts over the last year, I notice a pattern when it comes to talking about my crazy boys and our adventures. Our discipline struggles have been (for the most part) with d1. My, how the times are changing!!

In the last couple of weeks, D1 and I have realized that d2 is coming into a new stage in his life and it's a very mischievious stage!! This boy is SNEAKY! For example - not long ago, he hit d1 and sat in time-out for it. After time-out, he was told to go hug his brother and apologize. d2 proceeded to hug his 'bubby,' tell him he was sorry, and then he KICKED him. d1 hollers that d2 kicked him. I ask him if he kicked him and he says, 'Me no kick Dagen, me love Dagen' with his arms out wide as if to say, 'I wouldn't do that!' That's probably where we realized he had some tricks up his sleeve and it hasn't gotten much better from there.

On the other hand, d1's sensitive, SWEET side has re-emerged and I am welcoming this with open arms. Just this past weekend, we had a Darnell Movie Night where we popped popcorn, made hot chocolate and put in a movie - 'The Polar Express' this week - and sat down to watch together. Towards the end of the movie, d1 was sitting with me and when the lil' boy lost his bell from Santa's sleigh, d1 says, 'I wish he wasn't so sad, Mommy.' I told him to keep watching. Then he says, so pitifully, 'I don't want him to be upset. I think I'm going to cry.' Of course, I thought he was just being silly when next thing I know, he's BAWLING real tears!! And we can't get him to stop! It was the craziest thing and I keep telling him to watch the movie, that I'm sure he'll find it but he was absolutely distraught! I told D1 that our 'baby' was maturing and just has such a big heart. Other instances have also shown us that he's turning into a little man that doesn't spend half his day in time-out and we are also seeing a decline in tantrums. PTL!! Long time coming......makes all that hard work with parenting/disciplining well worth it to see some positive outcomes!!

2 Comments:

Acasha King said...

So sweet the D1 is finding he sensitive side!

Outnumbered! said...

I'm glad he is becoming a big boy!