Act Justly - Love Mercifully - Walk Humbly


Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Major Inspiration!

Anyone watch 'The Biggest Loser?' This is the first season that D1 and I have ever tuned in and it was AMAZING what kind of life transformations are made with these chosen couples. Last night was the LIVE finale and it couldn't have ended better, in my opinion. For those that don't watch, the show is pre-recorded and actually took place over the summer. After you are voted off, you go back home and are encouraged to continue your weight loss - not just for the healthy aspect but to compete for $100k. The four finalists left on campus also go home after their 12-week stay and work towards a $250k prize to the one that has the highest percentage of weight loss. However, only three of the four actually get to compete for the top prize and America got to choose who would be the third competitor. Last week, the two that were below the 'yellow line' had a chance to appeal to America for their vote and it happened to come down to a husband and wife, Ed & Heba. D1 and I had were appauled at how this went - most people I know would lobby for the other to win but not this wife. Her loving husband did his part and asked America to vote for his wife, who wanted it so badly, but she had the audacity to petition for herself, claiming that she had the hardest journey, blahblahblah. I mean, WHO DOES THAT? A little class and modesty goes a long way! So at the beginning of the finale last night, the results from the nationwide poll were announced and, no surprise to me, it was a 'landslide' for ED! Heba looked shocked (not sure how she could have been shocked) and was quoted as saying, 'I guess there are just a lot of negative people out there who don't like to see success.' Um, no, I think there are a lot of people that get tired of arrogance and of individuals that feel they can bully others into doing what they want them to. Just my opinion! However, Heba did end up winning the second prize of $100k with the highest percentage amongst the others that didn't make it to the finals. I will say, she looked amazing and I think, in the end, she had the highest weight loss percentage out of everyone (which could have made her the big winner if she had some verball restraint) but I think her public (albeit pathetic) plea came back to bite her. There were some great results - we were especially excited for Jerry ( severely overweight dad who just wanted to walk his daughter, Colleen, down the aisle some day), Amy C and the 'Hometown' Couple, Phil & Amy P from right here in Greer, SC. WOOHOO!!



So, for the grand prize, the three contestants were Vicki, Ed and Michelle. They all looked phenomenal but MICHELLE won with the highest percentage - she lost 110 LBS!!! Totally different girl! I was so happy for her. I will limit my comments to how ECSTATIC I was that Vicki did not win because I could seriously write a novel. This woman had me dealing with BH contractions each week I watched with her snarky comments, her hateful looks and just down right spiteful personality. Seriously - each week we heard, 'I work harder than anyone else,' 'I deserve it more,' 'I love fuball.' (Just something about the way she said football drove me and D1 up the wall!) I had always heard that this was a 'feel-good' show and that everyone is striving for the same main goal - to lose weight but this woman was out for blood and made no effort to hide it. It was just very sad for the others who were there to change their lives but had to constantly watch out for her and her tactics. I just could not route for her in good conscience (truth be told, I hoped each week she GAINED - horrible, I know). So, the best part of the show for me last night - not only did she NOT win the big monetary prize, she came in third. And she came in third by ONE POUND!!! Ouch! What's that thing about karma? In any case, this will be a show we continue to follow - next series starts January 6th!!!

1 Comment:

It's a Mom Thing said...

Boy, you are fired up about this, aren't you? I did watch this season and I do love the show. It is very inspiring and such a positive show. I should get my butt on that show. I was so glad Vicki didn't win either and so glad it was Michelle. They all looked awesome, even Heba. I just hope they can all keep it up now.