Act Justly - Love Mercifully - Walk Humbly


Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Angel Food Ministries

On a BBC board I read, I have seen several threads about a food co-op called Angel Food Minstries. I went to the site and looked around and became interested in trying this out. I know I could sure use some help reducing my grocery bill to offset the increase in gas prices. It works like this ~ each month AFM develops a "menu" of items that you can purchase for $30. You bring the box and they fill you up on a designated day. Here is the menu for June:


1.5 lb. Rib Eye Steaks (4 x 6 oz)
1.5 lb. Hamburger Patties (4 x 6 oz)
2 lb. Pork Riblets
4 lb. Individually Quick Frozen Chicken Leg Quarters
2 lb. Breaded Chicken Tenders
20 oz. Supreme Pizza
1 lb. Mild Italian Sausage
2 lb. French Fries
16 oz. Sliced Carrots
16 oz. Mixed Vegetables
32 oz. Borden 2% Reduced Fat Shelf Stable Milk
6 oz. Pancake Mix
15 oz. Pork and Beans
14 oz. Ketchup
7.5 oz. Macaroni & Cheese
Dozen Eggs
Dessert Item

AFM also offers additional boxes that can be purchased with every regular unit. They offer grill boxes with steaks and pork chops, as well as some other random meat items. The amount of food you receive in the regular unit for $30 is comparable to spending $65 or $70 at the grocery store for the same items. It is said to feed a family of four for an entire week or a single person for an entire month.

According to the website, the program was founded by pastors from Georgia in an effort to help those in need. However, there is no income restrictions or guidelines and I have heard that for every, maybe 10, boxes sold, one is donated to a family in need. We have not yet tried it but it appears that our church, as well as other local churches, are distributors so maybe we should check it out. Worst case scenario ~ I'm out $30 for some mediocre food. But, best case scenario ~ I cut my grocery budget in half!! So my question to you bloggers and lurkers.....anyone tried it? If you did, what did you think?

3 Comments:

KLee said...

I tried it one time. The dry pantry stuff is okay. The raw meat on the other hand is not the best. I did get one of the grill boxes with the order that month. It was before E was eating table food and we tried some of it and threw the rest out. But then again, I am a meat snob!
Like you said, doesn't hurt to try it once! It may work well for your family.

W and Js mommy said...

TFBC sponsors AFM once a month you can pick up the info at the front desk. It really was alot of food! WE did it a few times...things were okay...I have to agree with the above comment....I had a real problem with the raw meat...it really grossed me out. I don't really have a specific reason..it just did. But the amount was great! I will say that both times things in the menu were changed and they took it upon themselves to add weird or crazy things. give it a try it might be your thing..you never know till you try it.

Michelle said...

We have tried it before. Did it for a while and then stopped because we weren't eating all the items and it really wasn't diabetic friendly for Steve. I would agree with the comments on the meat. It isn't the best of quality. The kids did like the chicken strips and those types of items. I would say just try it out and see. You really do get a lot of food for not much cash!