Act Justly - Love Mercifully - Walk Humbly


Monday, June 24, 2013

Welcome d4!

Gestational diabetes, useless epidural and sleep deprivation - the top three reasons why I am done having children. Yes, I’ve said it before but I don’t think I ever wrote it down so maybe this will help.

Having GD from week 28 on in this pregnancy was awful. I know it could have been worse but, just, whatever. It was awful. Checking my blood sugar 4x a day, watching every.single.thing to go in my mouth for fear of hurting my unborn or sending myself into some sort of diabetic coma was just too much stress for me.

My epidural wore off after about two hours of a sixteen hour labor which means that, when it was really needed, it did NOTHING. I felt every last ounce of the delivery and that was never my intention nor {in my honest opinion} should it ever be anyone’s intention. Sorry, friends, but the prize is the same in the end. To those that do go au natural, hats off to you. To the anesthesiologist who supplied my ‘goods,’ I’d like a refund, sir.

And now here we are in the third week of life with this baby and I’m exhausted. Not just from nursing 8-12 times a day but also from serving breakfast and lunch to three other hungry, demanding children because, of course, it’s summer break and everyone is home. {Yes, I feed them dinner, too, but I haven’t actually prepared one in, well, three weeks, thanks to the many friends who have brought dinner to us!}

Alright, well, now that I’ve gotten that out of the way, let me just tell you that this baby is amazing.

Despite what everyone thought, we really did not have his name picked out until after he was brought into this world. We had a few on our list but until we saw him, he really did not become Daly Judah and, as cliché as it sounds, he really could not be anything else.

He was born at 3:50pm on Monday, June 3, 2013 and he weighed 6lbs 13oz, 20 inches long.




He was our smallest baby by nearly a pound, which is crazy given my enormous size and the doctors/ultrasound techs estimates. However, once Dr. Delahunty broke my water, it was clear that much of the weight was fluid. Super.

I won’t go into details of the birth since no one really cares about them except the parents who endured. I’ll just say that it was less than ideal but, in the end, we have a healthy, beautiful baby with gorgeous eyes to match those of his three big brothers. God has been so good to us. Nine months ago we prayed for a baby girl but the Lord had other plans and we couldn’t be happier to have this sweet little guy. He sleeps best with noise {good thing!}, his coos are like that of an angel and he has started sleeping ridiculous hours at night which has both shocked and awed me!

And since it’s been over two months since I’ve blogged, I’m betting it will be that long before I do it again. Even though I’m on eight weeks of maternity leave and will only be working two days a week when I do return, I am certain my time will be taken up by other more important things. Like playdates.

0 Comments: