Act Justly - Love Mercifully - Walk Humbly


Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Hodge to the Podge

Although I have a lot to say, little of it has any substance. Still, I have things to say…or blog, rather. These days I seem to be treating my web page as an ongoing post-it note. There are just some things that go on in the day to day that I don’t want to forget so I’m jotting it down in cyber world.

*This morning I attempted to read ‘Jesus Calling’ devotional with the three boys after Dallas had already left. The two older boys were very attentive, which isn’t usually the norm. It may or may not have had something to do with me keeping Dayne in a headlock in order to fulfill my purpose. When it was over, I asked to pray with them. Dagen offered, instead, and it went something like this –

Dear Jesus,

Thank you for this day. Please be with us at school and be with Mommy and Daddy at work. Thank you for always loving us, no matter what we do. Even if we kill someone, we know that you still love us. Thank you for that because we know that you will never stop loving us, even if we kill someone. I pray that we will always follow you and that we’ll live in you….er, I mean, you’ll live in us. Yeah, inside us, not you. Okay. Amen.

Oh gosh. I have to admit that I was a little, uh, concerned after that prayer. I mean, we teach these boys that a sin is a sin and, in God’s eyes, no one sin is worse than another but….um….hmmm. So I just took a moment, praised him for his awesome, honest prayer and then proceeded to clarify that just because we know that we can’t ever lose God’s love, it is not a license to kill. He said he understood and we went on our way but, in the moment, it was a little, well, awkward.

*Last night after Dagen’s game, the boys were all looking for snacks. Since it was almost 9pm when we were finally heading home from the field, I told Dagen that it was late anyway and that the mom responsible just probably forgot. As it turns out, I was that mom that forgot. Boo for deadbeat moms. And contrary to what Dallas says, it was the first time that I had done this. Considering the fact that we’ve had two boys in sports for 3 years now, I’d say I’m not doing too bad. There are worse things I could forget, right? I have never forgotten a kid anywhere...yet. I guess there was that one time I drove all the way home, talking on the phone and, as I pulled in the driveway, realized they were still at school. But that only happened once and was a long time ago so....

And since we’re on the subject of baseball, I’ve got a couple of sluggers in my house. They’ve each got homeruns under their belt and we’re only 1/3 of the way through the season. I couldn’t be more proud of these fellers.





I have no idea why my video and photo are posting like this but they are. I like things symmetrical and uniform and this is really messing with me tonight.


*I’m running my first 5k next Friday. I’m in my 7th week of training for it and I feel ready, although it is definitely not on my list of favorite things to do every other day. My knees hurt, my right ankle swells a little and I just don’t love to sweat but anyone who knows me well knows that for me to run 35 minutes straight is a pretty big deal. Seriously. In middle/high school, I was a P.E. teacher’s worst nightmare {and yet I married one!} No, really. There was nothing that could make me run or even walk for that matter. I preferred activities like scooter football or scooter soccer….something that didn’t involve me doing much physical work. When it came time for the one-mile run, I probably broke the school record but it was not for fastest time. And when they would try and force me to do the long jump or hurdles, I generally found some excuse that revolved around a monthly cycle. Yep, like I said, a big pain. So, as you can see, the fact that I’m willingly running 3.2 miles in one stretch is quite the accomplishment for me. Stay tuned for my actual time.

In other news, I am absolutely loving my new job and am reminded daily of God’s grace and mercy that I do not deserve. My life is crazy but filled with laughter and joy. And even on those hard days, I can rest in knowing that God is still God and God is still GOOD.

That’s all for now, folks.

0 Comments: