Act Justly - Love Mercifully - Walk Humbly


Tuesday, August 23, 2011

On The First Day of School....

....we had little drama. Praise the Lord! I'm still slightly traumatized from d1's first day of K-5 so I can truly appreciate this gift of ease.....


As always, we began the school year with a grandioso breakfast. This year the menu consisted of whole wheat brown sugar banana bread pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage links, grits and fruit smoothies. Now, before you start thinking that I'm the Betty Crocker of 2011, I will be honest and tell you that the pancakes were gross. No, really. They were disgusting. I could have probably eaten the photo of the pancakes and tasted more flavor. I knew there was a problem when they wouldn't even finish half of a pancake when they typically burn through at least three a piece. d1 did break it to me gently and said, 'I don't mean to hurt your feelings, Mommy, but this just isn't good. Do I have to eat it?' I don't know where I went wrong but I did sample a bite and they were awful. Period.

For some reason I cannot perfect specialty pancakes and I'm done trying. I've wasted way too many bowls of batter only to be irritated when they aren't edible. I've mastered a homemade ice cream cake and I can whip up a tasty meatloaf - I'll leave the pancakes to IHOP and feel no shame.

Off they go....


2nd Annual Front Porch Photo


d3 assisted me in walking d1 and d2 to their classrooms. I've got to give the little booger credit - he did really well. I had originally asked my sweet friend to keep him for a quick playdate with her little P while I did the 'First Day' duty solo {D1 has to be front and center at his school} but we were running a few minutes behind so I just put my brave panties on and took him with me. I was unexpectedly surprised by his big boy behavior. Oh the possibilities are endless with a compliant toddler, although I'm not holding my breath. He is his oldest brother's mini-me and, well, age 2-4 wasn't a walk in the park.

We haven't actually reached that 'walk in the park' period that the 'books' speak of and I don't expect d3 to be any different. How's that for optimistic? I'm just going with realistic outlook....


Making their way into the doors of Buena Vista Elementary


No tears from either boy and just a few from their quacky mother. I still can't believe I have a 2nd grader and that little d2 is in Kindergarten. Everyone always says how time flies and, in the moment, it doesn't always seem like it's moving quickly but when I walked them in this year, I felt the harsh reality that they are growing up so fast and before I know it, they'll be off to middle school and then high school. Oh, I can already feel the ulcers lighting up now....



1 Comment:

Jessica said...

Don't they look cute heading into school!? Someone told me once that in parenting "the days seem endless but the years fly by." Congrats on a smooth first day - glad your keys didn't get locked in the car:-)